eVisitor Visa Australia: Direct Travel to the Land of the Kangaroos

eVisitor Visa Australia: Direct Travel to the Land of the Kangaroos

Tatiana Forero Rubiano
Tatiana Forero Rubiano

Have you heard about the eVisitor Visa Australia? This document could be necessary to visit the country of the kangaroos, although not many know the details of the visa or how to obtain it.

So, if you are planning to travel to Australia, this post is for you! We will tell you about eVisitor Visa: its requirements, costs, and the differences with another immigration document that, at first glance, may be similar: the ETA.

So, take note and pack your bags to cross the world!

What is the eVisitor Visa Australia?

The eVisitor Visa Australia (subclass 651) is a travel authorization very different from the regular Australian visa. Although this document also gives permission to visit the country as a tourist, the application is made through the Internet and the confirmation arrives by email.

As the process is online, your passport number is saved in a database. Upon arrival in Australia, immigration officers scan your passport for the authorization that appears in the system.

This authorization is valid for visiting friends and family, going on vacation or doing business, but be careful here! You can only go to close business or scouting, not to work in business.

This permit enables multiple entries and exits to and from Australia within a one-year validity period. While it doesn’t grant the privilege of studying and working in Australia, it offers the flexibility to visit the country as often as desired. Each visit, however, is limited to a maximum stay of 3 months.

What is the difference between the eVisitor and the ETA?

Another widely popular option for traveling to Australia is the ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). Distinguishing itself from the eVisitor Visa Australia, the ETA functions as a permit rather than a conventional visa. Nevertheless, it provides the opportunity for legal visits to the captivating land of kangaroos.

Both the ETA and the eVisitor Visa are online application permits, with the primary distinctions lying in their costs and eligibility based on nationality. The key differentiators between the two options revolve around pricing and the specific nationalities for which they are applicable.


How do you know if you need to process the eVisitor or ETA?

In essence, the eVisitor Visa Australia is accessible to citizens of the European Union, encompassing individuals holding passports from EU member countries. In contrast, the ETA is restricted to a select number of countries:

  • Andorra
  • British Overseas Territories
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • Singapur
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Taiwan
  • United States

What is required to apply for the eVisitor Visa Australia?

Applying for the eVisitor Visa Australia is very simple. First, visit the Australian Department of Immigration website and fill out the form. After answering several personal questions, you must attach the following scanned documents:

  • Passport photograph with white background.
  • Your passport; more precisely, the part where your photo and your data are shown.
  • Official ID from your country.
  • Proof of your travel to Australia. This can be your travel itinerary, hotel reservations, airline passes or related documents.
  • Your bank statements for the past three months.

How much is the eVisitor Visa Australia?

The eVisitor Visa Australia is free and approved in just 1 day. In contrast, to apply for the ETA, you must pay a fee of 20 AUD*.

*Reference price.

Alternatives to the eVisitor Visa Australia

If your plan is to go as a tourist to Australia and you do not have an EU passport, your option is the ETA. Now, if you don’t have a passport of those nationalities, you can’t apply for this option either.

The alternative left is to apply for a tourist visa or the student visa.

The advantage of the student visa is that it allows you to study and work at the same time. Thus, you improve your CV while gaining work experience abroad.

Experience Australia with GrowPro!

Traveling to Australia on the eVisitor Visa is a fun experience, but how about migrating to Australia for a longer period of time and living like an Aussie for a while?


Embark on a unique journey by studying photography, training as a surf instructor, or gearing up for an English degree. If your aspiration is to pursue education and experience an unparalleled adventure in the land of the kangaroos, GrowPro makes it possible.

Explore our diverse range of study experiences in Australia, pick your favorite, and complete the form! Soon after, one of our dedicated Student Advisors will reach out to you, guiding you through the planning process and handling all the details so you can focus on the excitement ahead. Rest assured, we’ll be with you every step of the way.

What are you waiting for? Click on the link above and find the perfect experience for you. You are just a couple of clicks away from a great adventure, see you in Australia!

About the author

Tatiana Forero Rubiano
Tatiana Forero Rubiano

Tatiana viajó como mochilera por Canadá, Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia, Chile y Brasil. Allí, mientras hacía una pasantía en Marketing Digital, descubrió su pasión para escribir sobre viajes. Desde 2018 se ha especializado en Content Marketing y, actualmente, es editora del blog de GrowPro.

Loading comments...