Work and Holiday Visa Australia: A Guide to Apply in 2024

Work and Holiday Visa Australia: A Guide to Apply in 2024

Tatiana Forero Rubiano
Tatiana Forero Rubiano

Craving the Australian experience? It’s essential to have a clear vision of your objectives while in the land of kangaroos. Keep in mind that, whether your purpose is tourism, education, or employment, a specific visa is required. However, there is a versatile option that permits you to pursue all of these during your stay: the Work and Holiday Visa.

Yes, no mistake in your reading. The Work and Holiday Australia visa is a permit to work, vacation, and study in the country for a while. However, it is a permit that is in high demand and, because of this, it is not so easy to obtain.

Still, it’s not an impossible feat, and the endeavor is unquestionably valuable. Therefore, in this post, we provide comprehensive insights into the Work and Holiday Visa for Australia. Discover its myriad opportunities, learn about the prerequisites and application process, and understand the renewal procedures. Keep reading to prepare yourself for a successful application.

What is the Work and Holiday Australia visa?

The Work and Holiday Australia Visa is your ticket to a 12-month adventure Down Under. Beyond experiencing the best of Australian tourism, it also grants you the opportunity to work while you’re there. However, it’s important to note that you’re limited to working with the same employer for a maximum of 6 months.

The Work and Holiday Australia visa grant you the opportunity to pursue studies in Australia, but with a restriction of up to 4 months. As a result, one viable choice is to undertake English language courses in Australia. These courses typically range from 2 weeks to 3 months, offering flexible schedules that can be balanced with work opportunities in the country.

This is your chance to hone your skills with native speakers. On top of that, a certificate issued in Australia will add a lot of value to your resume, so it’s a great way to make the most of your trip and soak up the Australian accent, which is a tricky thing to understand.

The Work and Holiday Australia visa is undeniably appealing. Please consider that several requirements must be met, but read on, we will explain this further.

Requirements to apply for the Work and Holiday Australia visa

Before submitting your application for the Work and Holiday Australia visa, there are 3 key requirements to meet. First, you should not have previously used a Work and Holiday visa to travel to Australia. Second, you need to be between the ages of 18 and 30 when you apply. And third, you must hold citizenship in one of the eligible countries and possess a valid passport.

Once you confirm your eligibility, you’ll need to fulfill several prerequisites and complete an online application. Rest assured, we will provide a detailed breakdown of each requirement.

1. Check if applications are open

As you know, for eligible countries, a limited number of Work and Holiday visas Australia are approved. That is, if you run out of quotas, you have to submit your application next year.

2. Submit valid ID documents

When applying for the Work and Holiday Australia visa you must attach a photo of the first page of your passport. Your face, your personal information, and the expiration date must be visible.

Also, include a copy of your birth certificate. If you cannot get one, Immigration will accept a copy of your National ID card, for example. Another alternative is a family record book, which lists your parents’ names, or an official document.

3. Meet certain educational requirements

To secure the Work and Holiday visa Australia, educational criteria vary by nationality. For some, a university degree with accompanying diplomas is essential. Others require a minimum academic background of either a university graduation or at least two years completed towards a degree.

Be aware that additional documents may be necessary to verify your educational background. As a result, immigration authorities suggest visiting the official website of the Australian embassy in your country for comprehensive details.


4. Prove and/or certify your level of English.

To apply for a Work and Holiday Australia visa, you must prove your English proficiency. One method is to hold a passport from Canada, the United States, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom and maintain its validity.

Another is to prove that you have attended a primary or secondary school or a university where classes are taught in English only.

Finally, the most prevalent option is to provide English certification exam results, not exceeding 12 months old, demonstrating that you have attained the government’s required minimum score.


Since July 2023, the TOEFL is not valid anymore. For the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), it is 4.5 points. For the Pearson Test of English (PTE), a score of 147 points is valid.

5. Prove that you have the funds to cover your stay.

To travel to Australia with a Work and Holiday visa Australia, you need a minimum of 5000 AUD; in addition, you have to prove that you have a flight to return to your country or funds to buy it at the end of your trip. For this, a bank statement, along with a copy of the ticket if applicable, should be sufficient evidence.

6. Travel alone

No, it’s not about traveling with friends. With a Work and Holiday Australia visa, you can’t bring financially dependent children, and your application can’t include family members. This visa is exclusively for you.

7. Attach a police clearance certificate

This requirement is not mandatory to obtain the Work and Holiday visa in Australia. However, the authorities may ask you for a police certificate issued by the authorities of your country and of the nations where you have lived for more than 12 months during the last decade after your 16th birthday.

In addition, if during the last decade, you have lived in Australia for more than 12 months after your 16th birthday, you must apply for a certificate from the Australian Federal Police.

Also, if you were in the military, they may ask for your military record or a letter showing that you were discharged or completed your service. In any case, the authorities will let you know if you need any of these papers; however, we recommend that you keep them handy.

8. Meet health requirements

Medical tests may be necessary depending on your nationality. You can find details on the official Immigration website, but only take them when requested by authorities.

When it comes to health, it’s wise to have international health insurance. Accidents can happen unexpectedly, and healthcare costs in Australia can be quite high, which could quickly deplete your savings.

9. Prepare your documents

Once you have these requirements, make your application! But first of all, have the documents translated without the need to certify them. In this case, you do not need to hire a certified translator as long as the following information is specified in English on each document.

  • Translator’s full name.
  • Address and telephone number.
  • Academic background and experience as a translator.
  • Then, take a photo or scan each one of the papers; if they have more than one page, save them in a single file.

Once this is done, you can send your application for the Work and Holiday visa following the steps that we will show you below.


Steps to apply for the Work and Holiday visa Australia

Do you have all your papers in order? Well, the last step is here: apply for your Work and Holiday Australia visa. To do this, you have to create a profile on InmiAccount, attach all the required documents, and pay the visa fee: 635 AUD.

Once the authorities receive your application, they may ask you for your biometric data and, as you might expect, perform some medical tests.

Check this out!

Immigration recommends that you do not make your travel arrangements until you receive an official response; this could take from 80 days to 3 months, so be patient.

When your Work and Holiday visa Australia is approved, you will receive a letter specifying the effective date; from that day, you have 12 months to travel to Australia.

Upon arrival, you have 12 months to stay in the country, and you can enter and exit as often as you like as long as your visa remains valid.

Remember, you have the green light to study and work full-time during this period, so consider enrolling in a short course and maximizing your stay. This travel tip is one you should follow.

How to renew the Work and Holiday visa in Australia?

You can renew the Work and Holiday Australia visa twice. To be eligible, on your initial trip, you need to have worked in a government-specified job for at least 3 months.

If you want to do it a third time, you must have worked, at least, 6 months during your second trip in a job specified by the Government.

Renewal is possible from both within and outside Australia. If you choose to renew while in the country, you’ll need either a valid provisional visa or to submit your application within 28 days after the provisional visa’s expiration. Additionally, you must meet these specified requirements.

  • Submit identity documents: your passport and birth certificate, your ID card, a family book, or an official document.
  • Demonstrate that you have the funds to cover your stay and leave the country. If you are applying for a Work And Holiday visa in Australia, skip this step.
  • Proof that you worked, for 3 or 6 months as the case may be, in a job specified by the government.
  • When applying, follow the previously mentioned steps.

Keep in mind that you might be required to provide additional documents such as medical exams and police certificates. The authorities will inform you of these requirements, allowing you to submit the necessary information.


Additional options for studying and/or working in Australia

If your dream is to visit Australia but you didn’t secure a Work and Holiday spot or you’re ineligible, don’t worry! Here, we’ll provide alternatives for obtaining a long-term work visa in Australia.

Student Visa

The student visa entitles you to study in Australia for 3 months to 5 years, depending on the duration of the course you want to take.

This gives you access to more interesting study programs; for example, VET or vocational courses, bachelor, master, etc. In addition, you are authorized to work 24 hours per week and, during vacations, 40 hours per week.

You should seriously consider this visa for several compelling reasons. Pursuing a degree in Australia opens the door to becoming a highly qualified professional with an internationally recognized qualification. Additionally, the work experience you acquire will enhance your resume.

What are the advantages of the student visa over the Work and Holiday Visa?

  • There is no limit to the number of spots.
  • No age limit.
  • Allows you to include your partner in your trip for the duration of the visa so that he/she can work in Australia and study for 3 Months.
  • The length of the visa depends on the length of your course, including vacation time – the longer your studies, the longer you can live in Australia!

Sponsor Visa (Sponsored visa for foreign employers)

The Sponsored Visa, aimed at hiring qualified professionals, was replaced by two different visas under a program called Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS).

Although the dynamics are similar, what changes is the duration of each visa. One has a minimum validity of 2 years and the other allows you to stay up to 4 years in Australia.

The only pathway to secure this visa is through sponsorship by an Australian company, with a commitment of at least 2 years of employment. While not the simplest visa to attain due to the sponsorship requirement, the Sponsor Visa offers the significant benefit of enabling a lengthy stay in the country.

Skilled Visas (Visas for skilled professionals)

Skilled Visas, another alternative to the Work and Holiday Visa, are visas aimed at incorporating professional profiles into the Australian labor market that the country lacks. To obtain it, you must work in one of the jobs listed in the Skilled Occupation List.

You must also be under 45 years of age, have a minimum English level of C1, validate your professional studies, and receive an invitation from the Australian Government to apply for a visa.

Depending on your professional profile, you can apply for a Self-Employed Skilled Worker visa (Subclass 189), a Named Skilled Worker visa (Subclass 190), which grants you permanent residence, or a Temporary Regional Skilled Worker Visa (Subclass 489).

We recommend visiting the official Australian government migration website for further details.

Did you miss your Work and Holiday Visa? We help you get a Student Visa!


We’ve already told you all about the Work and Holiday Australia visa, so run and apply! And if you want to go for an alternative, we recommend the Student Visa!

With GrowPro, we can guide you through the visa application and procedures. What’s more, our expert team accompanies you from the moment you set foot on Australian soil.

You’ll receive personalized support from the moment you decide to embark on your Australian journey and even after you arrive. You become a valued member of our global community of growers, ensuring you’re never alone. So, how about exploring Australia together with us? Select your preferred experience here and complete the form, so we can contact you ASAP!

About the author

Tatiana Forero Rubiano
Tatiana Forero Rubiano

Tatiana viajó como mochilera por Canadá, Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia, Chile y Brasil. Allí, mientras hacía una pasantía en Marketing Digital, descubrió su pasión para escribir sobre viajes. Desde 2018 se ha especializado en Content Marketing y, actualmente, es editora del blog de GrowPro.

Loading comments...